>

Monday, February 11, 2013

Swan Nebula

My friend Jon got a telescope recently and while it's been too cold for much star-gazing, he did allow me a peek through it a few nights ago. I hadn't looked through a telescope since my high school Astronomy class, so it was pretty fun to get a closer look at the cosmos even on a painfully cold night. That class in high school marks perhaps the only time I took more than a minimal interest in science class and launched a lifetime fascination with the stars. Yes we spent a good deal of time learning more mundane facts and memorizing numbers and relevant equations, but we also had a section where we learned the Hawaiian names for constellations and about how Polynesians used the stars to navigate (I was living on Oahu at the time). Most of the facts and figures have vacated by mind, but memories of the Swan Nebula through a telescope and the taste of lychee candy on my tongue still burn strong.

Outfit details:
UO hat (similar here)
Crew Cuts sweater
Wren dress
Thank You Mart socks
UO mittens
*pictures by Jon

12 comments:

Megan Colwell said...

That is awesome. I've always wanted to do that. Looks fun!
http://nauticalowl.blogspot.com/

The Braided Bandit said...

I love when you share tidbits about your time living on Hawaii. I visit family there every year and definitely hope to end up living there at some point in my life! The astronomy post wearing your galaxy dress is too cute! Happy Monday!
xo Hannah

thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com

Alice, Pretty Confused said...

These photos are beautiful! I love star gazing but living in the city it doesn't work too well. Looks like loads of fun xo

Dominique said...

Qué bellas fotos! Qué lindo tu abrigo! Espero encontrar uno así acá en Chile :)

Daniela Chimal said...

awwww! the hat is lovely n.n

BESOS DESDE MÉXICO!
http://thefantastico.blogspot.mx/

Kitsune-kun said...

awm lychee is my favourite. are you guys pumped for the asteroid coming this week?! looks like you'll have an amazing view!

Wendy Sice said...

The first time I went to an observatory I found it very emotional to see the moon and Saturn so clearly through the telescope. Like they were really there, and not that far away after all. I was blown away. :)

abbycake said...

I just finished reading Moloka'i and I feel as though I just returned from a trip to Hawaii I never took. I use your blog to live vicariously a bit. Still love that hat.

madhura joshi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
blue roses said...

we had a telescope when i was a small child; i so miss that marvelous wonder, gazing so far up and away from what you can smell and taste and touch, into another realm.

Theresa said...

Your beanie and matching gloves are the cutest! I like how you have a galaxy-esque dress going on while star gazing as well. So occasion appropriate. ^_^

MarieBayArea said...

happy stargazing lovely lady

Web Statistics