>

Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Importance Of Being Saccharine

These little animal mittens are one of several ridiculous knit items I own that make me feel less downcast over winter. It's funny sometimes the backlash I see online against "cutesy" clothes or accessories. People act as if having animal ears on your head or faces on your mittens makes it harder to navigate your life than a regular pair of mittens (all gloves/mittens in winter are a slight nuisance when dealing with electronics or having to use your fingers ever). Or as if topping your head off with some over sized bow means the contents of said head are severely lacking. Why is this? When did people forget the old adage don't judge a book by its cover or decide to assume that one aesthetic decision is evidence of a greater character trend? Choosing a sweater with hearts on the sleeves does not imply you are literally an open-book of emotions, willing to tell any passerby your life story, just like publicly indulging in a cupcake doesn't imply you dine only on sweets and ignore the gym. One observable decision is not representative of a whole, complex being. But what can I say, half of the time I am drawn to cute-sy things because they amuse me and knowing they'll contrast with my slightly sarcastic tongue...

Outfit details:
ASOS shirt
animal mittens
Seychelles oxfords
*pictures by Jon

18 comments:

Kitsune-kun said...

um, and they can double as sock puppets....obvious win-win there...

ivoryavenueblog said...

I like the idea that they can double as sock puppets. I totally agree with you though - why is there such dislike for cuteness? I love animal mittens!

Rose-et-Violet said...

I did not know about this harsh attitude towards cutesy items...that's awful. Why do people have to be so judgmental...le sigh.

Either way, I love your mittens, and actually, I was recently gifted a panda hat...now I'm inspired to showcase the hat on my blog.

-Rose

Naomi at The Occasional Indulgence said...

I'm all for cutesy, big bows, and eating cupcakes! P.S. I love the color of your skirt~

http://theoccasionalindulgence.blogspot.com/

Femke said...

Oh, these mittens are soooo cute!

xoxo, Femke By Button

MintJulep said...

You're living - and writing! - proof of what you just stated ;)
http://fashionfauxpas-mintjulep.blogspot.com

Joanna Haughton said...

I completely understand the frustration of being judged in said manner.

Just recently I wrote about how I was at the grocery store and my toddler had a single serving bag of chips to herself. Some mothers gave me dirty looks and disappointed head shakes.

What they failed to notice was that our cart was full of whole grains, veggies and protein, while their had less healthy choices.

What they also failed to know is that my toddler gets a single serving of chips to herself maybe four times a year.

Judgement without all the facts makes life really hard on others. So I say, dress how you want and screw the rest.

Sincerely,
Joanna's also slightly sarcastic tongue.

www.ModaMamaBlog.com

Taylor Hart said...

OOOooooOOOooooo! I love your green skirt!You are too cute like a little pixie. I'm your newest follower!

xoxo

nothing but a pigeon

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

PREACH, lady!

Kristian said...

Oh, this is an enchanting outfit. (especially the mittens.) I love the color story here and how well the check shirt goes with everything.

Laura said...

Lovely post, and such true words! Reminds me a bit of what Zooey Deschanel said once about being "girlie," and how that's seen as weak. We should really feel free to wear what we want; it's our actions that speak. :)

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Rachel Sullivan said...

I'm so glad that any negativity towards cutesy things has missed my corner of the internet. I might just get my feelings hurt!

You look beautiful!

Rachel

Chelsea Elizabeth said...

I love the green skirt! So pretty, you make me want to throw some colors in my outfits!

<3Chelsea Elizabeth

Mariz said...

That last line. <3

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Yeah, I've definitely noticed this attitude that if you indulge in anything that could be considered childlike, it automatically means you are in denial of being an adult. What is less well explained is what exactly is "adult" about mainstream culture. Should I be sexy all the time then? Should I only wear boring J. Crew cardigans? The alternative to cutesy is frequently portrayed as being the Kate Middleton style of "classic." I can see why that works for her, but what a tedious place the world would be if we all dressed like that. Anyway, major tangent...

Polina said...

So, it seems that Jon has been taking a LOT of your photos lately. When's the wedding? ;)

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

@Polina, eh it's maybe once a week and we're not even dating. Just friends.

Model Mom said...

Love and adore this outfit for Fall.

Web Statistics