>

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Camilla

For September I've partnered with Lulu*s for a series of literary inspired outfit posts. Every week I'll be sharing a different book I really enjoy and an outfit inspired by some character within the story. I couldn't think of a more fitting place to begin the series than a library--which along with used bookstores is one one of my favorite places to be.
This week I'm inspired by Madeleine L'Engle's novel Camilla. It's a coming of age story about a girl in New York who changes from a child to very confused young adult almost overnight. She's an aspiring astronomer who is seeing the faults of her parents and falling in lost for the first time and neither would be possible without the other--she wouldn't be prepared to love without knowing the pain and power it wields as witnessed through her parents' dysfunctions. It all takes place in autumn, in New York and the descriptions of her outfits are minimal, but Camilla is a classic dresser--chic little dresses and fitted sweaters, classic berets and stream-lined coats, ballet flats and books in her hands. I find it difficult to give proper descriptions to the books I enjoy the most; there's so many more emotions than plot structures that come to mind when I think about this novel. Anyway, it's a lovely book that really captures that nebulous period of new adulthood and fragile love. It was quite fun to channel Camilla for a day.
"Betelgeuse, I told myself with anger, Betelgeuse is in the constellation of Orion, the Hunter. It is the first star whose diameter was measured. It is three hundred million miles in diameter and it is five hundred light-years distant.
I told myself these facts and the tears retreated and I knew that I would not have to cry."
-Camilla, Madeleine L'Engle

Outfit details:
vintage Coach purse
*pictures by Jon

20 comments:

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Fantastic! I would so love to do something like this. I haven't read Camilla, but one of my favourite books when I was 12 or so was Madeleine L'Engle's Many Waters. Reading her doing a more realistic story would be interesting... off to the library!

anette said...

Great pictures! And an interesting idea :)

Joanna Haughton said...

Love that book. And I think you've captured the spirit quite well.

This collaboration is a very unique idea. I'll definitely be paying attention.

Sincerely,
Joanna
www.ModaMamaBlog.com

Megan said...

Camilla was one of my most loved books while growing up. I religiously read it at least once a year. I might have to dig it back out, its been too long since my last reading! I agree that its a hard book to describe. Its really just a coming of age story, but its a coming of age story for a CERTAIN type of girl, and that's what makes it so special!

Meli said...

I love this idea and the shoot!! I'll have to try to get ahold of a copy of this book.

Bevin said...

I cannot tell you how I awesome I think this is! My entire MFA thesis project was self-portraits inspired by tragic literary heroines (found in the gallery "Love" here--bevinvalentine.com, if you care to see it), so this is right up my alley. Fantastic.

Amber Rose, Laughing With Broken Eyes said...

I love love love Camilla, and the fact that you do too just makes me beam. I can't wait to see what books you talk about in this upcoming month. My courseload this semester is chock full of literature classes so while I'm reading a lot, most of it is dictated by my courses and my personal reading has suffered already.

Ali Hval said...

I love that shot of you holding up that book. Too neat!

I've not read that novel, but it sounds so interesting... I seriously might have to pick it up now! I've been meaning to get my hands on some new books lately. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Oh, and of course this is a lovely set of photos. I adore the colors.

Ruby Sterland said...

this is such a good idea, never thought of shooting in a library before! I would love it if you could take a look at my blog :-)
http://totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk/

Christina Storm said...

Really cute! Love your blog!

www.thestylestorm.com

nourash! said...

nice outfit

Shauna said...

This is great! I'm always curious as to what others are reading and fashion paired with books is just that much better. Madeleine L'Engle was one of my favourite authors growing up, although Camilla was not one of her books that I read. I loved "A Wrinkle in Time" and "A Ring of Endless Light" (and the other books in those series). One more book to add to my reading list. At this rate it will never get any smaller!

Jing Pei said...

I love the cut of that dress!!

Kristian said...

A very fun blogging idea; I always enjoy seeing people do posts with books and fashion combined!

And it is neat to see you in an indoor space as well.

bestie said...

i loooove this so so so much! just the sheer number of photos you posted already makes me giddy -- add to that the fact that they are all so lovely, from your outfit to the setting to every single photo composition.

i am so jealous that you got to shoot in the library, because i have always wanted to but every library i've encountered here has very strict protocols about taking pictures. ugh.

and ahh, i really must read that book! it's funny that i haven't because i am a huge fan of madeleine l'engle. (:

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

@bestie, It's my old college's library and it's big...so I'm pretty sure the librarians don't know (although Jon is a professor there now, so he probably can't get in trouble!). About L'Engle, I think sometimes you have to read her books at the right time in your life. Sometimes certain novels of hers don't reach me and other times it's as if she wrote for me specifically.

Rachel Sullivan said...

What a cute idea! I love the thought of dressing up like my favorite book characters. The one I actually dress like the most is probably Madeline. From the kids' books. Haha.

Rachel
floralprintsandcommonsense.blogspot.com

Kevin Boyd said...

Really cute! I always enjoy seeing people do posts with books and fashion combined!

Ashe @ Ash in Fashion said...

Madeleine L'Engle was my favorite growing up, though I had a fondness for the Austin family above all. Strangely, I've had Camilla sitting on my bookshelf for probably close to a decade, and have never read it! It makes me more glad that I'm slowly working my way through my collection. Maybe I'll skip ahead to it ;)

Rebecca Jane said...

I know I am going to love this series - the librarian in me can't resist literature-inspired posts, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what's next from this collab!

Web Statistics