>

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Water Under The Bridge

This bridge lies near a couple of walking/running trails and as I was setting up my camera to take pictures a jogger came by and quipped "I didn't know this was a formal bridge, or I would have worn my slacks!" I just smiled and laughed as he passed by, but I was a bit surprised since I didn't consider this outfit very formal. I mean, yes my skirt is gold and glittery, but if I was attending a formal event I would have worn something less wrinkled and more fancy footwear. Of course, formal events for me are few and far between--as are dinners out, parties that don't involve a friend's backyard, and really any legitimate excuse to dress up. Yet, I'm attracted to these sparkly clothes and pretty dresses and really enjoy pulled-together outfits that make me feel more pulled-together. Why should I waste a good outfit or pretty dress by letting it hang in my closet waiting for some mythic occasion that never arrives? Each morning I just try to dress in a way that makes me feel good and while I'll try to wear comfortable shoes if I'm going to walk a lot, the places I have to go only have a minimal impact on my sartorial choices. So, I suppose for now I'll continue being the most "formal" person wandering around in the woods.

Outfit details:

15 comments:

style-splash.com said...

The texture of the skirt is so pretty, cute outfit,
Emma x

Natasha Atkerson said...

Cute outfit! I could see why he thought it was "formal", but I also think the button down shirt and casual sandals lend an air of causual-ness (yeah, that's not a word..):)
Natasha
A Modest Fashion Blog:
www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

Tori Bonaventura said...

You always have the most lovely locations for your photos! So jealous.
xo, Tori
http://daisiesandpixiedust.blogspot.com/

-A. said...

That's exactly how I felt a few days ago. I arrived at a friends house for a dinner-party, and I wore this simple black dress with a lace back and all everyone could say was how formal/chic I looked, but I just felt like it was a pretty, simple dress.
I love your style, but I love your writing even more. You thoughts often make me think about my own life, and sometimes I recognize myself in you, just like I did in the post.
Thank you so much for taking time to write your thoughts down, I really love reading them!
x Amber

Kristian said...

I think dressing well to many people often seems the equivalent of "formal." At any rate, you look lovely. That sparkly dress is so fun!

http://neverfullydressedwithoutastyle.blogspot.com/

steffy said...

I know exactly how you feel. I have a very wide range of styles in my closet, and one day I'll go to work in jeans and a tee, the next in a dress. My coworkers often are confused by the dressier outfits, proclaiming I have an "event" or an interview... it's just what I like!

I love this skirt, by the way. And this is just how I would style it to dress it down.

Opposite lipstick said...

love!
http://oppositelipstick.blogspot.be/

Alexa said...

That skirt is absolutely amazing! I know I say this in pretty much all my comments but these shots belong in a magazine <3 So gorgeous

Alexa <3
http://sleepeatbreathefashion.blogspot.com/

Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage said...

What an amazing skirt! Love.


Marie @
Lemondrop ViNtAge

I am having a fabulous giveaway right here.

Sapir L. said...

haha, at least you'll always be prepared if something "formal" happens in the woods! Also I always love the locations you find for photo shoots! It really inspires me to find new and unique places where I live :)

Sapir @ smellthewildflowers.blogspot.com

Chloe, Wardrobe Quarry said...

Absolutely in love with the skirt, I've been obsessing over sparkly things lately.

Wardrobe Quarry

MintJulep said...

Funny u should talk abot this here today, I just focused on a similar subject on my blog as well, and it came from my wearing gold accessories while on my way to take my son to school. I was politely told I looked like I was going to a party...
http://fashionfauxpas-mintjulep.blogspot.com

daria said...

I still can't gather the courage to bring a tripod somewhere and just shoot - I don't think I could handle any passers by :) plus, I don't drive :) as for formal/informal it's all very subjective. that skirt is amazing btw.

Rebecca Jane said...

I love that skirt - it is so pretty!

Jamie Rose said...

Ha I definitely don't consider this a formal outfit. People are so weird. I get asked why I'm dressed up and where I'm going when I wear shorts that aren't made of denim. I will never understand why wearing anything other than jeans and a t-shirt is considered fancy.

Web Statistics